|Title:||Alumni Relations Manager|
|Organization:||A Better Chance|
|Location:||New York, NY|
Alumni Relations Manager
Our mission is to increase substantially the number of well-educated young people of color who are capable of assuming positions of responsibility and leadership in American society.
A Better Chance was founded in 1963 during the height of the civil rights movement by 23 headmasters of selective independent schools who shared a commitment to change the profiles and compositions of their student body. During the first year, 55 students of color, who were economically challenged but academically able, were selected to further their education at these institutions. Over the last 54 years, A Better Chance has been a driving force in the effort to increase educational attainment among youth of color.
With its historic signature program, the College Preparatory School Program, A Better Chance identifies, recruits, and annually places more than 500 academically talented students into over 300 of the most rigorous and prestigious independent day schools, boarding schools, and public schools in the country. To date, A Better Chance has over 15,000 alumni who are enriching their communities and creating a more representative leadership pool for American society as a whole.
The Opportunity: Alumni Relations Manager
In an effort to build a robust Alumni Relations program, A Better Chance has secured funds through a generous grant from Boeing to hire an Alumni Relations Manager. The work of the Alumni Relations Manager will strengthen the outreach to A Better Chance’s alumni which in turn will have a positive impact on the long-term sustainability of the organization.
The Alumni Relations Manager will create and implement a strong plan of engagement for alumni of A Better Chance, increasing alumni participation in leadership, fundraising and programming. The successful candidate will build and manage new and expanded relationships with alumni through a variety of avenues including events, workshops, newsletters, and one-on-one communications. The Alumni Relations Manager will be an integral member of the development team whose role will include driving measurable engagement among the alumni, as well as contributing to the revenue goals and overall sustainability of A Better Chance.
Alumni Relations and Engagement
- Implement an alumni engagement program that includes cultivation of alumni to build affinity for A Better Chance.
- Assist with implementation of an online internship and job platform to be used exclusively by A Better Chance alumni.
- Develop a quarterly e-newsletter as a way to engage and connect alumni to the work of A Better Chance. Create content that includes alumni profiles, updates and resources, as well as upcoming events and volunteer opportunities.
- Implement a digital communications plan to engage alumni, including a targeted campaign of communication that ensures they are receiving personally relevant updates and calls to action.
- Collaborate with a major funder’s volunteers to create career-planning workshop opportunities for alumni that will be driven by the funder’s HR experts.
- Work with A Better Chance program staff to create volunteer opportunities for alumni throughout the organization.
Fundraising and Event Management
- Create and implement a plan of alumni involvement for the annual Awards luncheon that will include increasing alumni attendees, alumni support and build affinity.
- Maintain touchpoints, meetings, events and activities with the organization’s “Super Chancers”, a targeted group of alumni who meet one or more criteria including being a past honoree of A Better Chance, those who have demonstrated a high affinity towards the organization, and/or those that have a high capacity to develop major gifts.
- Manage the Senior Class gift process, securing gifts from Scholars as they graduate from their Member Schools. Meticulously build these relationships as an important first step to launch long-term relationships with alumni.
- Prepare a personal connection plan with alumni, which includes personal visits and phone calls, to identify engagement and philanthropic opportunities and appropriate solicitations for A Better Chance.
Data Management and Administration
- Maintain all database systems that contain alumni information, touches, and engagement, using Raiser’s Edge, Raiser’s Edge event modules, MyEmma, and Eventbrite.
- Track all engagement, touches, and gifts made by alumni. Utilize the data to create plans and other communication.
- Collaborate with the Director of Development and consultants to ensure that all metrics are being appropriately measured and analyzed.
The Qualified Candidate
- Better Chance is seeking a dynamic and energetic professional with a minimum of four years of experience in alumni relations and/or development. A strong background in alumni program management and engagement is required. Strong commitment to the mission and growth of A Better Chance is essential. The successful candidate will have experience in the design and implementation of alumni engagement programs, as well as identifying philanthropic potential in alumni. The Alumni Relations Manager will be creative, energetic, and determined, with a talent for identifying and developing opportunities for alumni and A Better Chance to come together.
Specific Requirements Include:
- Passion for the mission of A Better Chance, as well as a strong commitment to the growth of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of four years of experience in an alumni engagement program or an alumni development program.
- Highly effective interpersonal, conversational and presentational skills, demonstrating an emotional intelligence and situational awareness in tandem with excellent writing abilities and strong case development and sales pitch skills.
- Demonstrated expertise in developing and maintaining positive relationships with diverse individuals, including executives, high-level volunteers, wealthy donors, and internal stakeholders and leadership.
- Prowess in problem-solving, strategic and creative thinking, and in taking initiative with consistent and good follow-through.
- High level of comfort with alumni interaction is a must.
- Willingness and ability to travel on an as needed basis, both locally and nationally. Valid Driver’s License required.
- A strong drive to make a difference, goal-oriented with a proven ability to achieve or exceed goals and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, hands-on experience with donor management software (e.g., Raiser’s Edge, MyEmma and Eventbrite), and skills in the maintenance of current contact and activity tracking reports.
This position offers a competitive salary with a comprehensive benefits package. All inquiries will be held in strict confidence.
A Better Chance is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria.
Candidates may apply by clicking the APPLY NOW button below. To assure confidential tracking, no resumes will be accepted via email.
ALL INQUIRIES WILL BE HELD IN STRICT CONFIDENCE.
This search is being managed by Sue Bultman, Consultant, and Heather Eddy, President and CEO of KEES. Questions may be addressed to email@example.com.
KEES is a retained search and nonprofit consulting firm that builds transformative teams and leaders. For more information, please visit www.kees2success.com.